Sunday, June 20, 2010

Got Soul

The song "I need a dollar" by Aloe blacc is quickly becoming woven into our pop culture conscious. When I first heard the song I assumed he was a soul singer from the 60s...but I was very wrong. Aloe Blacc started his career in 1995 and has worked with John Legend. His hit track gained mass appeal as the intro to the TV show “How to Make it in America.” Given its popularity there have been remixes to this soulful jam, but few caught my attention until I heard one by the Killabits. The DJ pair from Toronto was able to amp up Aloe Blacc’s original while maintaining its roots.

The Killabits – I Need a Dollar (Aloe Blacc Remix)


Kid Cudi’s The Pursuit of Happiness has been a wild success. There is something so easily recognizable and poignant about it’s lyrics. There have certainly been more than enough covers and remixes of this song, but then I heard a cover by the singer Lissie. She seems to make it new again. Lissie vocals remind me of a young Stevie Nix, but in life she is a pure individual. This cover it is nothing short of epic.

Lissie – Pursuit of Happiness (Kid Cudi Cover)

Funk Track for the Week

This track by Velella Velella kicks it back to the old school with a sound that is reminiscent of George Clinton. Velella Velella is from Seattle, and stays true to the funk tradition of having a decent sized band with a lot going on.

Velella Velella – Alex Boom Selector


Bonus:

There is not too much of a soul influence in this song, but it is just too good not to post. Hey champ mixes all the best of 80s synthesizer with strong lyricism. They are part Phoenix, part Miami Vice.

Hey Champ - Cold Dust Girls

Good night and good luck,

M. Untz

No comments:

Post a Comment