Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Worldtronica


This week's post features a few electro songs that are influenced by World Music at some level or another. World Music was brought to the stage of American pop music by none other than Paul Simon in his collaboration with Lady Smith Black Mambazo back in the 1980s. These next couple songs will give you a taste of how World Music is making its way into the world of indie electro.

ceo is the solo project of Eric Berglund, of The Tough Alliance. In this amazing jungle electro track, he pays homage to the Peruvian pan flute, which he blends perfectly with the track's thick beat and poppy hook.


This is tropical techno. If I could listen to this track at a Tiki night club on the beach for the rest of my life, I'd be a happy man. It samples the old Jamaican traditional, "Day-O", but it is the electro beat gives this jam the fire that we all love.


I know I posted a Local Natives cover last week, but this song has such an eclectic blend of Russian house and Brazilian instrumentation, that I felt it needed to go on this post. It's rocking Euro beat is undeniable, but it is the mixture of clave and agogo in this track make its world quality truly fantastic.


This final track is a bonus and I felt as though I needed to add it as a tribute to Paul Simon, who is, in my opinion is one of the greatest artists of the last one hundred years. Clearly The Tallest Man on Earth thinks so as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment